Tuning Gigabit

David Gilbert dgilbert at velocet.ca
Sun Jun 29 08:51:53 PDT 2003

>> Now some boards I've tested (like the nvidia chipset) are strangely
>> limited to 100megabit.  I can't explain this.  It seems low no
>> matter how you cut it.

Craig> As I mentioned in a previous email, this is horrible. Does this
Craig> manifest itself with disk controllers and other high-bandwidth
Craig> devices?

Well... I don't have any disk controllers to test, but I've verified
this behaviour with em, bge, sk, and nge chipsets.  Of these, as I've
said before, the em shines.  The bge has good performance, too ... but
we've seen a lot of corrupted routed packets ... it has some
interaction with some motherboard chipsets.

Craig> I look forward to seeing a paper on this; it would certainly
Craig> assist people in hardware purchase decisions.

It's in the back of my mind.  I don't think I'll have time for this
BSDCon, but maybe soon thereafter.  It's getting to the point where we
should have a BSD Journal.

Dave.