Slow disk write speeds over network

Chris Adams cadams at salk.edu
Wed Jun 11 16:37:58 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 02:34:46PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> However, ftping a file or cp'ing over NFS shows speeds less than 1MB/s -
> which is not what I would expect - it's got gigabit ethernet, and has
> very fast read times (via ftp or nfs) over the network.

Silly question - how are the switch ports configured? I'd try toggling
it from whatever it it is now. We've seen some similar sounding problems
with Intel NICs and Cisco switches where either auto or forced port
settings will cause extremely slow transfers without causing any errors
on either end. It's card/port specific, too, as we've seen cases where
allegedly identical hardware must be configured as the opposite of its
"twin".

Chris