Slow disk write speeds over network

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Mon Jun 9 12:47:27 PDT 2003

> Ok, I have a file server (NFS) running FreeBSD 4.8-RC1, which is having
> incredibly slow disk write speeds.  Locally, doing something like:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/partition/testfile
> Shows 14MB/s - which is what I expect..

Check your cabling... you may have a bad pair in your cable on your
send wires, or at least a crummy pair with high resistance.  See if
netstat -i has any errors listed.  A change in performance that
dramatic and only in one direction is disturbing and doesn't sound
like a kernel or software issue, though I could be quite wrong.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden