Major problem with "No buffer space available" errors

James West jwest254 at mail.com
Thu Jul 17 03:49:45 PDT 2003

Added up all the sendq and recvq columns in a netstat -na output gives me almost always < 150 and i'm still getting almost constant no buffer space errors.  The NIC was replaced only five minutes ago and the problem still persists.

[root at flower] (/home/james): ping 127.0.0.1
ping: socket: No buffer space available
[root at flower] (/home/james): ping 127.0.0.1
ping: socket: No buffer space available
[root at flower] (/home/james): ping 127.0.0.1
ping: socket: No buffer space available
[root at flower] (/home/james): ifconfig
ifconfig: socket: No buffer space available
[root at flower] (/home/james): ifconfig
ifconfig: socket: No buffer space available
[root at flower] (/home/james): dmesg | grep fxp0
fxp0: <Intel 82557/8/9 EtherExpress Pro/100(B) Ethernet> port 0xb000-0xb03f mem 0xda800000-0xda81ffff,0xdb000000-0xdb000fff irq 12 at device 16.0 on pci0
fxp0: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM
fxp0: New EEPROM ID: 0x50a0
fxp0: EEPROM checksum @ 0x3f: 0xca9a -> 0xca9c
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:02:b3:48:50:2a