SWAP size

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Mon Apr 28 14:14:24 PDT 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 10:54, Piotr Rybicki wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> In man tuning(7) we read, that swap size should be about 2x main memmory
> size. Why swap size should be so big? Isn't swap size equal to main memmory
> size enough?

IMHO the swapsize=2x phys. mem size has always been just a rule of thumb. You
need as much swap as you need (doh). But so far, the memory requirements of
software have pretty much grown proportionally with the availibility /
affordability of bigger sticks of memory and thus the rule of thumb still
makes sense. YMMV.

--
Regards,
	Michael Nottebrock