/bin/sh and 32-bit arithmetics [CORRECTED]

Alex Semenyaka alexs at ratmir.ru
Tue Apr 22 07:45:32 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 02:39:50AM +0300, Narvi wrote:
> Ahem - wouldn't it be easier to find out *why* the dramatic speed-down
> happens and trying to combat it as opposed to trying to show the
> speed-down is not releavant? There shouldn't be anything inherently that
> much slower in 64 bit shifts...

One again: that speed-down is the effect of the disk operations which are
slower than in-core arithmetics in the ORDERS of magnitude. When you run
any external program from the disk those operations are _always_ included.

My point was: since any real script executes at least several external
programs the total time it runs will not be affected with the substitution
of 32-bit arithmetucs to 64-bit one, even when overflow checks are enabled.

I am not concerning about the speed of the external application running,
for I am solving the absolutely different problem now.

								SY, Alex