FreeBSD Memory Pages Not Locked?

=?unknown-8bit?Q?S=EAr=EAciya_Kurdistan=EE?= sereciya at kurdistan.ath.cx
Wed Apr 16 15:20:57 PDT 2003

Hello,

  I recently installed "gpnupg" from the ports collection and
  upon running it (after the key generation), I found myself
  seeing the following error:

  gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

  ... Those of you who are impatient and think that this is a
   gpg &| port specific problem, please be patient and read on ...

  from: http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/faqs.html#q6.1
  Here's what the GPG FAQ says:

 "6.1) Why do I get "gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!"

  On many systems this program should be installed as setuid(root).
  This is necessary to lock memory pages. Locking memory pages
  prevents the operating system from writing them to disk and
  thereby keeping your secret keys really secret. If you get no
  warning message about insecure memory your operating system
  supports locking without being root. The program drops root
  privileges as soon as locked memory is allocated."

  So my question is:  does FreeBSD really not have support for
                      locking memory pages?

                      if this is true, then what is the reason
                      that this has not yet been implemented,
                      is this not an important security feature?

                      otherwise... if FreeBSD does in fact have
                      support for locking memory pages, then
                      why am I getting this error message?

  If any of you have encountered this problem, and would like
  to offer some help &| advice, you have a captive audience
  of at least one, me!

Thanks in advance,
--$êrêciya Kurdistanî
| Welat xwe ava nake, dest bidin hevdu, pist nedin tu dijminî  |
|   Riya azadiyê ne hêsan e, hêviya xwe bernedin, dema me      |
|     nêzîk e.                                                 |
| Hevaltî bi kesên du rû nekin, hevaltî bi hevdu ra bikin      |
|   Ne ji hevaltiya wan kesên pêxwas û rû dirêj, ne bi wan     |
|     kesên xwînperest, ne jî ji yên din.                      |
|                                   -$êrêciya Kurdistanî       |
  translation provided on request: sereciya at kurdistan.ath.cx