tcp_output starving -- is due to mbuf get delay?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Apr 10 05:31:36 PDT 2003

David Gilbert wrote:

> Jin> Some details was left behind -- The machine is 2 GHz Intel P4
> Jin> with 1 GB memory, so the delay is not from either CPU or lack of
> Jin> memory.
>
> I just want to quickly jump in with the comment that our GigE tests of
> routing through FreeBSD have exposed several-order-of-magnitude
> differences by changing ram/motherboard/which-slot-the-card-is-in.
>
> Do not assume that a fast CPU is the key.  We went through 10
> motherboards to commission the current routers ... and sometimes
> faster cpus would route slower (in various combinations of
> motherboards and RAM).

Wow - this is very interesting.  I have two machines with GigE in them,
one has 6 gige nics (intel pro/1000T server), in a dual Xeon 1.5Ghz
(P4), with 2gb of ram.  I haven't put it into production yet, so if
there are any tests I can do, let me know.  It would be good to know the
pitfalls before I bring it up live.. :)

Eric