Cannot save or print from OpenOffice.org

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Apr 11 19:30:25 UTC 2007

On 2007-Apr-10 16:48:11 +0200, Palle Girgensohn <girgen at freebsd.org> wrote:
>After upgrading with portupgrade -a, i cannot save or print from
>openoffice.org-2.2.0. I just get
>
> Error saving the document Untitled1:
> Write Error.
> Error writing file.
>
>same thing when trying to print. Openoffice is of course useless this
>way... :(

My son has seen this once on OOo 2 on Windoze.  The only way out was
to cut and paste the document into new OOo document - which then saved
successfully.  I haven't noticed it on FreeBSD but don't do as much
editing in OOo.  The behaviour I saw suggests a bug in OOo itself.

At least on my FreeBSD/amd64 OOo 2.2, I can't reproduce your problem
with the following procedure:
1) Start OOo
2) Select "File" -> "New" -> "Text Document"
3) Type some random characters
4) Click on the "save" icon (floppy disk)
5) Enter "foo" into the filename popup and click on "Save"

>well as a small screen dump of the error message. I now have a binary with
>debugging symbols, but I'm not sure how to debug OO.org; attaching with gdb

I'm not sure how to debug OOo either.  Between it size, threadedness
and number of different implementation languages determining the cause
of any specific failure message seems fairly daunting.  Since no-one
else has responded here, you might try searching through the developer
part of the OOo website for hints.

--
Peter Jeremy