Trouble with openoffice.org portupgrade and python

Floyd May fmay at okcareertech.org
Thu Mar 2 08:31:46 PST 2006

OpenOffice.org porting team,

I am running a FreeBSD system with two side-by-side Python
installations, v. 2.3.5 and 2.4.2.  In the process of attempting a
portupgrade of openoffice.org-2.0 with a ports tree cvsup'd on
February 28 at 12:00 pm CST, I noticed a suspicious line during the
installation process:
--------8<---------------
(cd /usr/local/bin; ln python2.3 python)
-------8<----------------
The portupgrade did not complete successfully, and errored out during
the installation.

After some checking, I noticed that my python 2.3.5 installation had
been overwritten with python 2.3.4 by openoffice.org's build process;
however, the package database had no knowledge of this happening, and
still only reported versions 2.3.5 and 2.5.2.  Furthermore, parts of
the python 2.4.2 port were also overwritten with python 2.3.4's files.
 I rebuilt and reinstalled both of my python installations to correct
this.  Is this conflict expected during the installation; i.e. would
openoffice.org's installation have corrected the conflict if it would
have finished successfully?  Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for your consideration.  Please let me know if there is any
additional information that I could gather for you about my particular
system's configuration.

--
Floyd May
Senior Systems Analyst