Installation instruction for OOo on FreeBSD

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Wed Mar 2 19:03:02 GMT 2005

For general instructions, you can refer people to FreeBSD's excellent handbook. Chapter 4 covers software installation:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

The handbook covers all required steps in detail and there is no need to reinvent that part of the documentation. What you probably should include in the documentation for easy reference is the name of the OpenOffice.org port in the ports system. Currently, it is:

editors/openoffice-2.0-devel

At the time of release, I would expect it to change to:

editors/openoffice-2.0

However, Maho, the port's maintainer, mentioned before that he would like to rename the port to openoffice.org. He might be planning on doing this at the time of the 2.0 upgrade, so you should probably check with him what the final port name will be.

Many users will want localized versions. For 1.1, such versions exist in the ports and I guess that at the time of the 2.0 release, they will appear for 2.0 as well. For languages that have their own subdirectories in the ports system, the localized ports will be found there. All other localized versions are to be found in editors/. For 1.1, some example ports are:

french/openoffice-1.1
german/openoffice-1.1
polish/openoffice-1.1
[...]

editors/openoffice-1.1-ca
editors/openoffice-1.1-el
editors/openoffice-1.1-et
[...]

Additional dictionaries are also found in the ports system. The same rules about where they are to be found apply here as well:

german/ooodict-de_DE
french/ooodict-fr_FR
polish/ooodict_PL
[...]

editors/ooodict-ca_ES
editors/ooodict-da_DK
editors/ooodict-en_CA
[...]

All dictionaries can be installed in one go using the meta port:

editors/ooodict-all

I guess this information should be sufficient for most users. More details on how software installation works in general on FreeBSD can be found in the handbook. What you do not need to worry about is any description of how to fetch dependencies, as the ports system will do that automatically. Installing Java is a bit of a nuisance, but that's documented as well and there is no need for you to repeat that information.

- Bartosz