OOo-1.1.4 and gcc-3.4

Mikhail Teterin mi at corbulon.video-collage.com
Tue Jan 11 03:13:42 PST 2005

Dear NAKATA,

Obviously, you have a very strict approach to this work. However, your
approach is quite different from that of the rest of the FreeBSD ports
collection.

Imagine, each port building its own compiler! Even if each *significant*
port was to build its own compiler, it would still be a nightmare. You'd
have a kde-gcc, gnome-gcc, xorg-gcc, xfree86-gcc, mozilla-gcc (with
optional gnome-gcc), etc.

This is not right.

> :( gccs always have regressions. that is the reason why I committed
> lang/gcc-ooo and I fixed the version of gcc to compile OOo.

This is HORRIBLE. We should not be forking a compiler like that. You
should have made our compiler people add your fixes to the system
compiler and/or to the gcc-* ports.

> If you are talking about my policy,
> please see Policy section of
> http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/
> Provide vanilla OOo package. Changes must be minimal or enhancements
> must be activated via special build flags.

I'm sorry, but your policy contradicts the FreeBSD ports policy -- at
least, my understanding of it. If this letter of mine is not sufficiently
convincing, let's ask portmgr@ and ports@ for mediation.

Or, maybe, I'll just create an editors/openoffice-clean.

Yours,

	-mi