Chinese editing.

Robert Klein RoKlein at roklein.de
Wed Mar 24 13:11:25 PST 2004

Hi, Stephen,

On Mittwoch, 24. März 2004 10:48, Stephen Liu wrote:
> FreeBSD 5.2
> I have OOo 1.1.0 running on my PC working nicely.

I'm assuming you got the zh-openoffice-TW-1.1.0 version mentioned
below running.  It should not make any difference, except in the
Taiwanese version the menus and perhaps even the help is
supposed to be in traditional chinese.  Entering Chinese
characters is possible with the English and German version of
OpenOffice, too (probably with all versions).

> Now I want
> to add Chinese editing function.  As per
> 'zh-openoffice-TW-1.1.0_2' on following link;
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=openoffice&stype=all
> I need to install all packages indicated there.

No. Those packages are required to get OpenOffice up and running.
Some of those packages are only needed if you compile OpenOffice
for yourself (for example bison, autoconf, gdk).

> Kind advise shall I uninstall all of them and reinstall them
> from their tarballs

Well, no.

You still can't enter Chinese characters, though.  To be able to
do this you'll have to run a chinese input method, XCin for
example.  I used XCin for traditional Chinese and fcitx for
simplified Chinese in the past.  (And, no, I'm not fluent in
Chinese.  I'm just doing some lists of vocabulary for the
language course....)

I currently can't use Chinese input, however.  When updating from
5.1 to 5.2 something went wrong and the input systen doesn't
work anymore.  I believer, however, this is a problem on my
system only.

Regards,
Robert