openoffice-1.1.0_1 port, font spacing issue

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Mar 15 09:52:55 PST 2004

Hello,

I've just installed the openoffice-1.1.0_1 package under FreeBSD-4.8, plus
the required dependencies:

 glib-1.2.10_10
 gtk-1.2.10_11
 ORBit-0.5.17_1

OpenOffice starts and runs quite happily. However there's a problem when I
import an existing presentation into simpress. When viewed at 100%, the
fonts look fine; but when viewed at any other scaling (including when
running a slideshow, or printing to a postscript file), the spacing is
completely wrong and looks a mess.

The attached .ppt file demonstrates the problem; the attached .ps file is
the result from 'print handouts' and gives an idea what I see on my screen
when I have a non-100% zoom. The further out I zoom, the worse it looks.

Note that the original file actually came from Applix but was exported as
PowerPoint 97 format. I don't think this is relevant though, because how
OpenOffice displays the file depends on what zoom level you select; which to
my mind makes it definitely a problem with the rendering, not the source.

However, it's not at all clear to me whether this is a bug in FreeBSD,
XFree86, X fonts, the JVM, or OpenOffice itself; and so I'd appreciate if
someone else could try replicating this problem on a different platform.

Misc information:

* I tried applying the rtld-symlookup.diff patch to my ld-elf; the patch did
not apply cleanly, I made it fit by hand, but unfortunately found that my
system broke after installing the new ld-elf.so.1 (it would not even start
KDE, complaining about missing symbols in libraries that were definitely
there), so I rolled back to the original one.

* I presumably have some sort of Java VM available on my machine, but I've
no idea what or where it is :-) Does OpenOffice come with its own VM?

I did compile jdk-1.3 (I think) a long time ago, it took hours to build from
ports, but I thought I had removed it afterwards. There's certainly no
'javac' on my box at the moment.

$ locate jdk | grep -v ports
$ ls /usr/local/lib/*jdk*
ls: /usr/local/lib/*jdk*: No such file or directory
$ ls /usr/local/lib/*java*
/usr/local/lib/libkjava.la      /usr/local/lib/libkjava.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libkjava.so
$ pkg_info -W /usr/local/lib/libkjava.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libkjava.so.1 was installed by package kdelibs-3.1
$

Hmm, I doubt that's it...!

Many thanks,

Brian Candler.