ports/52068: portupgrade of openoffice.org-1.0.3 stalls running installer

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 28 17:20:10 PDT 2003

The following reply was made to PR ports/52068; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Reilly <areilly at bigpond.net.au>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, areilly at bigpond.net.au
Subject: Re: ports/52068: portupgrade of openoffice.org-1.0.3 stalls running
 installer
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:15:06 +1000

 Hi,

 I've just tried installing openoffice again, and it stalled again
 (several times), and it has finally failed in the same way that I
 described before.  I made certain that all traces of openoffice
 had been removed from my system before starting the build process.

 The screen image that I attached to my previous report was what
 happened when I tried to start openoffice after the installation
 process finished.  However, the installation process did not get
 to "finished" without intervention from me:

 In several places during the build, saxparser stalled, and I
 killed that process and restarted the make (without first cleaning
 everything up) and it continued.  saxparser had been busy building
 what looked like i18n modules for languages/locales that I don't
 care about, so I was not concerned if they were corrupted.

 At the end, when the make install process (i.e., top-level BSD
 port make) said:
 ===>  Installing for openoffice-1.0.3_2

 Initializing installation program..........
 *** Error code 255 (ignored)
 ===>   Generating temporary packing list
 ===>  Add wrapper scripts
 ===>   Registering installation for openoffice-1.0.3_2
 ===>  SECURITY REPORT:

 That Error code 255 (ignored) was me killing the soffice.bin
 executable, because it had been consuming 90+% of the CPU for the
 whole night, and that seemed unreasonable.

 These problems (and the others that I'm experiencing with sawfish)
 seem to me to be consistent with deadlock conditions in
 multi-threaded applications that are making unwarrented
 assumptions about the thread implementation, or perhaps bugs in
 the thread implementation.

 I'm thinking of upgrading to 5.x, just to get kernel-based
 threads, to be more like Linux and Solaris, where these
 applications are presumably more tested.  Is that a reasonable
 approach?

 --
 Andrew