Libreoffice library caching [was Re: Yet another pkg bug?]

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 5 20:56:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 15:19:24 -0500 Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 8/5/2014 3:07 PM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>> Libreoffice links with libgcrypt directly.  The reason it does so is
>> because the output of "pkgconf --libs libexslt" is this:
>>
>> -lexslt -lxslt  -lz -lm -lgcrypt -lgpg-error -L/usr/local/lib -lxml2
>>
>> It's an example of how pkgconfig files can cause overlinking.
>
> Got it.
>
>> Libreoffice comes up in this list:
>> pkg rquery '%o %B' | grep libgcrypt.so | sort
>>
>> So it should have been bumped as part of the libgcrypt update.  I had
>> actually specifically asked for that list of ports to be included.
>
> Well the problem here was the instructions did not indicate to upgrade
> all ports so it would not have caught it anyhow. The instructions were
> to use portupgrade/portmaster to things depending on libgcrypt. Perhaps
> we need to change our instructions (or portupgrade/portmaster) to use
> registered library dependencies as well rather than just package deps.

The list of ports that need to be updated on a system are given by:
pkg query '%o %B' | awk '/libgcrypt\.so/{print $1}'

But with proper revision bumps no special instructions are needed
at all, so I'd rather do that and remove the instructions.

A problem with that pkg query is that it doesn't necessarily print
ports in the right order.  Dependencies of a port need to be updated
before that port.