comms/gnuradio will not build with current devel/boost-libs

Olaf Mersmann olafm at p-value.net
Sun Oct 27 10:56:15 UTC 2013

Dear Diane and FreeBSD Office Team,

first of all let me thank you for your work on the FreeBSD ports
collection.

I tried to install GNUradio and hit the following problem during 'make build'.

  *snip*
  -- Boost version: 1.52.0
  -- Found the following Boost libraries:
  --   filesystem
  --   system
  --   unit_test_framework
  -- WARNING: Found a known bad version of Boost (v105200). Disabling.
  CMake Error at volk/CMakeLists.txt:79 (message):
    VOLK Requires boost to build
  *snip*

A quick internet search turned up the cmake define ENABLE_BAD_BOOST
which was added by the GNUradio developers for situations where
distributions ship "known bad" versions of boost (1.52 in this
case). Explicitly setting it in the ports Makefile lets me build and
install GNUradio, altough I have yet to test it.

Would it be possible to add this flag by default? I assume that
updating boost to version 1.53 is not an easy task given the number of
ports that (indirectly) depend on boost.

Cheers,
Olaf Mersmann

P.S: I explicitly turned off building the documentation for GNUradio
because it explicitly requires teTeX. I run TeXlive on this system,
maby the port could depend on whichever TeX is selected via
TEX_DEFAULT from /etc/make.conf.