portupgrade and ICU libraries

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Fri May 10 22:46:43 UTC 2013

On 10.05.2013 18:38, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> Sure, if someone's willing to fix all dependencies. ;-) Seriously, the file
> names and linking procedures are well-defined by the upstream. I don't see any
> point of changing it.
Dependencies don't care -- the use LIB_DEPENDS and that's that. Upstream is,
indeed, defining the linking procedures, but nothing is using them -- because
they are so non-standard (as most things out of IBM).

I think, making this popular port build closer to how all the rest of the
software on FreeBSD is built is a worthy goal in its own.

> It should be much easier to fix portupgrade, e.g., something like this
> pseudo function (sorry, I am not very familiar with Ruby):

It may, indeed, be easier. My point, BOTH should happen -- unless fixing ICU is
too hairy and hard to maintain going forward...

    -mi