portupgrade and ICU libraries

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Fri May 10 21:52:37 UTC 2013

On 10.05.2013 17:02, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
>> FreeBSD stopped using minor numbers long ago (when a.out was
>> >replaced by elf). It is the libicuuc.so.54, that needs to be
>> >"Actual library", not libicuuc.so.54.3 for portupgrade to not
>> >fail.
> I think it is irrelevant in this case because ICU is not ours.

Well, it is "yours" on FreeBSD -- because you are the port-maintainer(s). The
port can certainly alter this behavior of the upstream package.

> IMHO, a correct fix is to teach portupgrade to find SONAME and copy the
> actual library if they do not match.
Yes, this was the 1. in my original e-mail and, yes, portupgrade should handle
this. But icu has something to correct as well, if possible without too much
difficulty.

Yours,

    -mi