ports/176967: editors/libreoffice crashes

Gabor Pali pgj at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 27 09:04:13 UTC 2013

>  My problem is different too because LibreOffice dosn't start:
>
>  > gdb /usr/local/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin soffice.bin.core
>  GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
>  Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>  GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
>  welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
>  Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>  There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
>  This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols
>  found)...
>  Core was generated by `soffice.bin'.
>  Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
>  ***
>  ***
>  #0  0x2e602010 in XFree at plt () from
>  /usr/local/lib/libreoffice/program/libvclplug_genlo.so
>  [New Thread 2c804c00 (LWP 100451/soffice.bin)]
>  [New Thread 2c804300 (LWP 100539/soffice.bin)]
>  (gdb)

I am still suffering from this problem on FreeBSD/i386 9.1-RELEASE and
4.0.2, so I would be also interested in fixing this up.

Note that one can get a nice backtrace for the crash if libreoffice is
started with the --backtrace flag.  However, gdb(1) in the base system
is too old for this so installing gdb (7.5.1.) from the Ports
Collection is highly recommended.  But this will not work
out-of-the-box, because the launch script (libreoffice) will search
for gdb(1) as "gdb" :-)  So I have modified the script to use gdb751
instead (see a patch attached for this), and installed libthr.so with
symbols.

$ env GDB=gdb751 libreoffice --backtrace

Thus I got a file called gdbtrace.log that may help with identifying
the problem.  Please find it attached.