kern/71142; VESA 1024x768 @ the console

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Wed Jan 26 01:36:54 PST 2005

Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:42:47 -0600
>Nikolas Britton <freebsd at nbritton.org> wrote:
>

>>I got tired of having to patch by hand all the systems I wanted this
>>patch on and all the systems I patched but then updated with cvsup so I
>>made a simple batch script to do it for me, this script will do steps
>>1...9 (see below). all you have to do is paste it into a file and then
>>run it as root (i.e. "sh vesa-patch-script"):
>>

>Care to make it a port ? O should I do it for you put you as maintainer
>or me if you don't have the time to spare ?

Make what a port, you mean that hack I called a script? lol, I guess it
could be, never made a port b4, but it would have to be redone as I'd
never sign my name to it. It has no error control except for a cascading
failure if the patch doesn't download or untar and it should include the
patch to fix the mouse error. I think a better idea might be to redo it
into a real script and post it to the PR?:

Some pseudocode off the top of my head:

if FreeBSD doesn't = 5.x die.
if user doesn't have src installed die.
if not root die.
cd into tmp.
if current-vesa_patch.tar.gz exist check md5 hash and if its the same
continue elseif patch doesn't exist download it and check md5 hash
continue if same else die.
if /tmp/current-vesa_patch dir exist remove it.
untar the patch.
cd into syscons.
backup files to be patched.
patch the files, if fail replace the mangled files with the backups and
then die.
(could just use pre-patched files and skip the patching part?)
cd into vidcontrol.
cp new vidcontrol files.
make the new vidcontrol program.
do the mouse patch crap.

I know only perl so it would have to be done in perl unless someone else
wants to make it a real sh script.