can someone explain crontab to me better?

Benjamin Sobotta mayday at gmx.net
Sun Sep 19 10:54:43 PDT 2004

Hi!

Those entries have nothing to do with duration.
The entry of you would run every two hours or better every even hour and then
every 5 minutes like:

8:00
8:05
8:10
.
8:55
10:00
10:05
10:10
.
.
.

so if you want something to run every two hours it should look like

10 */2 * * * root /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

This would make it run like

8:10
10:10
12:10
.
.

I hope this helps - and works :) Haven't tried it.

Cheers,

Ben