DVD Playback

Eric Podany Eric.Podany at NAU.EDU
Tue Jan 27 16:21:02 PST 2004

Hello all,
   I'm even more of a newbie than most on this mailing list, so forgive my ignorance.  I'm trying to switch from W2k to FreeBSD, so I need to get a few integral pieces working, and I'll figure out the details later.
   I've been looking at the ports listing, and found a few DVD players - mplayer, kplayer, and ogle.  Any recommendations on what to use?  Kplayer says it is for use with KDE, but I can't remember what window manager I am using.  How do I check that out?
   And also, how do I download the ports to my machine?  I've found documentation on pkg_add stuff, but I'm still feeling tentative about it.  And will the ports integrate themselves into the window manager automatically after I download them, or do I need to set that up as well?

A brief summary:

1) Any recommendations on what dvd player to use?
2) How do I find out what window manager I am using?
3) How do I download ports to my machine?
4) Will the ports integrate themselves into the window manager automatically after I download them?

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.
~ Eric