Where To Install FreeBSD?

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Fri Jan 23 11:08:11 PST 2004

Don Meng wrote:

> This is my first post to this forum and my question is;
>
> Are there any restrictions on which IDE drive I can install FreeBSD
> on?  The primary IDE controller on my machine is already occupied
> with two disk drives.  I'd like to buy a third drive and make it the
> master on the secondary controller and use it exclusively for
> FreeBSD.  I was browsing through The Complete FreeBSD in the
> bookstore and I thought I read that you can install FreeBSD on the
> forst or second hard drive.  Can anyone clarify this?  Thank you.

Semi-technical discussion style answer...

I'm sure there are some restrictions, but I've never encountered any
yet. On my old system I installed FreeBSD to the second drive (not
counting CDROM drives) which was the master on the secondary controller.
Ditto for my machine at work. My current system has two SATA drives
which are on the third and fourth controllers (CDRW and DVD are on the
IDE controllers), with no problems.

But that said, I've never used FreeBSD in a three harddrive system. But
I can think of no reason why you can't do this.

David