Question

Roy O'Grady ROGrady at co.berkeley.sc.us
Thu Jan 22 12:52:42 PST 2004

At the risk of getting told to take this question elsewhere....

I am a network manager for a small government. Right now, we are using
Novell NetWare for our networking needs, but we are getting ready to try
an open-source solution. The costs of software acquisition and
maintenance has gotten high, and I am hoping that a migration to
something open-source will help us stop the money-bleed.

How many of you have migrated from something closed-source and
proprietary to something like FreeBSD or linux? What problems did you
run into? How did users react to the change? I guess most importantly,
was it cost effective?

Thank you in advance for your opinions and time, and if this question
is inappropriate for this list, please accept my apologies.