BSD Unix vs. Linux

Russell Dickson birdcarry at webwingsnet.com
Sun Jan 11 06:06:07 PST 2004

Mazen,

As I understand it, a Unix equivalent was developed and eventually
discarded due to security problems in the core architecture the couldn't be
fixed.  A man name Linus resumed work and named it Linux, although the
security problems were still there.

BSD began as an idea of AT&T, who couldn't actually do it due to anti-trust
problems so they supported the efforts of Berkley.  That began in 1976.
BSD is fashioned very close to commercial Unix and, as explained to me, is
almost an exact clone with only minor differences.

BSD has the security, the basic structure is completely not crackable. It
can only be compromised after other items are added, FrontPage extensions
is the worst.  I have a public web server run by a guy with 24 years of
hacking Unix and BSD that has seen 13 months with daily attempts to crack
it, so far without success.  Zero compromises.  I'm convinced!

This turned into a "who's better" message but I don't know of another way
to explain it.  I guess the direct answer is the core of the kernel
architectures are different.  The other part of your question is, those
that study and really know, like Apple, Yahoo and others, don't use Linux.
Sometimes people will use only what they have been educated on.  It's
partly human nature.  The real champs will find what's best then modify
their education.

If you haven't read the BSD history on the FreeBSD site, it's interesting.