contgmalloc1

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Fri Jan 9 10:45:38 PST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 08:10 pm, Andrew Kozak wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to install FreeBSD on a P3 800 machine with 20 G HDD, but
> keep getting the error panic: contigmalloc1: size must be 0. I know
> that this is a -questions question, but I have posted there with no
> replies. I was just wondering if anyone in here has had this problem
> or has seen a post somewhere. I have tried to install FreeBSD 4.9 and
> 5.1 with the same problem 4.7 will install, but badly, drivers don't
> work properly, screens shift and distort - it's not pretty. From the
> posts I have read, it seems that the chipset I have - the Ali
> (Alladdin) chipset is the culprit. I have read several posts, but I
> cannot seem to find a fix, and I am busting to try FreeBSD on
> something a little more advanced than my P200, mozilla and OOo are
> struggling on it.

I had problems once with one of the Aladdin chips, but it was fixed in
the very next release of FreeBSD. For a chipset this old it should be
supported however. But no OS is perfect.

Before you give up, try two more things. First search the development
and hardware lists for your chipset. Do the same for the bug database.
Second, give 5.2 a shot (there is an ISO of 5.3-RC2 available now). The
reason is that there may already be a fix, but it's only available in
-CURRENT.

David