trouble with booting from 5.2RC2 ISO

deviledog at swiftdsl.com.au deviledog at swiftdsl.com.au
Thu Jan 1 16:48:04 PST 2004

Hi all,

I've had some trouble with booting from the 5.2 ISO I downloaded. Some
background (long-winded, but bear with me):

I downloaded 5.2RC2 disk1 and 5.2RC2 disk2 with Firebird on Red Hat 9. All
seemed well. I scp'd those files to my Mac (Panther) and created dmg's and
burned them to a CD. All looked well. I then tried to boot from the CD but
it didn't work. I made sure all BIOS settings were set to boot from CD
first. I tested with a WinXP install CD and it could boot from cd. I tried
the FreeBSD cd on another machine and it failed as well (windows worked).

Assuming I had messed up the burning I tried burning on windows with Nero.
All looked well, but same result. Finally, I downloaded the mini-5.2RC2
iso thingy from IE on WinXP and burned it with nero and voila I could boot
off the cd rom. I then downloaded 4.9 (i'm a newbie afterall and was
slowly realizing that 5.2 was not, uh, for me yet!) on my Mac and created
a working bootable disk from the ISO.

So, my question is: did downloading the 5.2RC2 ISO on Linux mess it up
(ascii vs binary maybe - would that give the behavior I described). Maybe
the scp killed it? Is 4.9 different than 5.2? (i read something somewhere
about emulated el torito vs real el toritos, or something like that).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated ... (is this the right list? i'm
a newbie but maybe it should go to the questions list?)

thanks,

august