My experience

R bsdrockford at pastrytech.com
Thu Feb 26 17:15:37 PST 2004

Kjell B. <homebell at telia.com> wrote:

 > If you run XP Home, you can always set up Samba as a workgroup server and
 > file sharing works just fine. I believe it also works if Samba is
setup as a
 > domain server but you won't get domain support. As always, read the
 > documentation, in this case the Samba documentation. I've set up
Samba as a
 > workgroup server and it went like a breeze once I've read the Samba
 > documentation. I've had a lot more problems getting domain support to
work
 > with XP Professional, but managed that too in the end.

Really?  Thanks for the information.  I did read a good bit of the Samba
instructions... but mainly relied on various "how to set up Samba on
FreeBSD" type web pages, and the books I mentioned earlier.  Following
the instructions on those pages, and altering them slightly when things
didn't work, didn't get me far...

The actual amount of files I have to transfer back and forth are small,
so for now ftp works well.  And once I start moving over the html and
python scripts, I'll be using http within Zope, so I don't think I'll
need Samba, like I did when starting out.  Plus it gives me some
pleasure to skip out on Windows networking!  If I was setting up a LAN
file server and wanted access from my Windows laptop, things would be
different, of course.