how does one upgrade from 4.8 to 4.9

John Murphy jfm at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 09:45:12 PST 2004

"stormjumper" <stormjumper at myrealbox.com> wrote:

>hi everyone,
>
>I'm running FreeBSD 4.8 at the moment, just wondering if someone can point
>me to a relevant web-page take explains the process of upgrading to a
>different version clearly.

See http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/relnotes-i386.html#UPGRADE

Which explains that there are two ways, binary or source.  It also mentions
that you read /usr/src/UPDATING (when you have the new sources) as well.

>Is there an issue if i "skip" versions, say from 4.4 to 4.9? or 4.8 to 5.2,
>the RELEASE issues notwithstanding?

4.4 to 4.9 should be straightforward but 4.8 to 5.2 would be harder, but all
possible issues are usually well covered in /usr/src/UPDATING.

--
HTH, John.