FreeBSD 5.1 stops on install in VMWare virtual machine

Nolaf nolaf at mail.ru
Sun Sep 7 01:12:51 PDT 2003

Hello All,
  this  is  the  first  time I post to this list, so please welcome me
  ;-)

  I'm  not  really  sure  freebsd-newbies list is right place for this
  question. Just in  case: sorry for possible offtopic...

  FreeBSD  5.1  stops  on  install in VMWare Workstation (3.2.0.2230 -
  release)     virtual   machine   when   extracting   packages   (in
  arbitrary  "places").  When  installing  5.1  on  Connectix (now MS)
  Virtual PC (5.1.370) all pass fine.
  4.7 installs normally on VMWare-3...
  I  tried various combinations of IDE access modes which VMWare3 BIOS
  allows - the same problem.

  Configuration of both VMs (VMWare and VPC) is:
  - 80 MB RAM;
  - 4 GB IDE virtual HDD;
  - virtual CD-ROM (ISO image): installation source.

  I    couldn't  check  subj  with  new releases of VMs because my CPU
  (Intel  Pentium-I  MMX  266  MHz)  doesn't support instructions they
  using.

  This    is    not    so   big  problem, but VMWare ("virtualizator")
  runs faster than VPC (emulator) does.
  Has anyone meet this problem?

Best regards,
 Nolaf                          mailto:nolaf at mail.ru