Floppy Drive Not working in 5.1

Kelly Brown kbsquared at cox.net
Thu Aug 21 09:57:14 PDT 2003

Hello All:

I just installed FreeBSD 5.1 as a fresh install and there is something weird going on with my floppy drive.

The directory structure that was created looks like this...
     /dev/df/0
     /dev/df/1
     /dev/df/2

This is what is showing up in dmesg...
     fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3
     fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port range 6 ports

However this is not /dev/fdc0 file.

If I try to mount /dev/df/0 this is what I get...
     mount /dev/fd/0 /floppy
     mount: /dev/fd/0: Block device required

I've done searches on the web and can see that other people have had the same problem but I haven't seen a fix.  Can anybody help me?

Thanks!
-kbsquared