Vector Packet Processing (VPP) portability on FreeBSD

Francois ten Krooden ftk at Nanoteq.com
Mon May 17 09:46:58 UTC 2021

On 2021/05/14 16:11, Jim Thompson wrote:

> On May 13, 2021, at 7:02 AM, Francois ten Krooden <ftk at nanoteq.com> wrote:
>

> > Thank you.  I did set this to 1 specifically now and it still works.  So then it
> > should be running in native mode.
> >
> > I will dig a bit into the function that processes the incoming packets.
> > The code I currently use was added to VPP in somewhere before 2016, so it
> > might be that there is a bug in that code.
> >
> > Will try and see if I can find anything interesting there.
>
> It was added to plumb in a TCP stack, (mstack, iirc) prior to the VPP group writing their own. L
>
> Your netmap-fed results are also quite low.  loos@ (who wrote netmap-fwd) was getting 2.23Mpps single core on a xeon D-1540.

I did a re-test this morning just to make sure of the results.  It seems like I did have a mistake in the previous measurements for netmap-fwd.
The updated results is show below.  It managed to achieve 2.989 Mpps on a single core on the hardware.
+-------------+------------------+
| Packet Size | Throughput (pps) |
|   64 bytes  |     2.989 Mpps   |
|  512 bytes  |     2.357 Mpps   |
| 1518 bytes  |   815.291 kpps   |

> https://youtube.com/watch?v=cAVgvzivzII
>
> Jim

Important Notice:

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Nanoteq (Pty) Ltd e-mail legal notice available at:
http://www.nanoteq.com/AboutUs/EmailDisclaimer.aspx