finding optimal ipfw strategy

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Mon Aug 26 08:34:30 UTC 2019

On 26.08.2019 03:30, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>>> Also, you should use old table numbers instead of new symbolic table names
>>> when you have many rules checking for interface names and much traffic
>>> because checks for numbered tables are slightly more efficient.
>>> You may use symbolic names still at source level:
>>
>> There isn't any old tables, all tables have symbolic names. Even when
>> you are creating "table(1)", its name is converted into symbolic name.
>
> Yes, and this code path is slightly more efficient. A bit.

I have not any performance measurements, but this code is for
compatibility and it has more checks to implement this compatibility.
So, I doubt it is more efficient :)
Internally all symbolic names are mapped into indexes and there should
not be any performance impact on packets processing.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov