NFSv4 without Kerberos

Alexander Lunev lan at zato.ru
Fri Aug 16 16:40:30 UTC 2019

> 1 - setting the sysctls
>        vfs.nfsd.enable_stringtouid=1
>        vfs.nfs.enable_uidtostring=1
>        Allows the uid/gid to be put in the Owner/Owner_group string as a number
>       (ie "1001"). This avoids any need to run the nfsuserd if all mounts are sec=sys.
>       This is now the default for most Linux distros.
>
>       Even if you want to run the nfsuserd, it won't be working until the system is
>       booted. (If you don't do the above, all the files needed to get booted must be
>       world read/exec.)

Thanks for this! In fact I was moving towards root-on-NFSv4, and your
message is really helpful. It is a pity that there is so little
documentation and even less debugging means for NFSv4 - you can't put
daemon in debug mode, for example, or get some extra debugging messages
from mount_nfs, like with ssh/sshd for example.

> 2 - A Kerberized root mount won't work, because the gssd must be running for
>       Kerberos access to work and that can't happen until booted.

And thanks for this! I think you saved me a lot of time figuring how and
why!

--
Best regards
Alexander Lunev