Testing VF/PF code

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Wed May 30 16:11:21 UTC 2018

Am 30.05.2018 um 17:53 schrieb Kevin Bowling:
> Harry,
>
> I wasn’t aware of anyone desiring vf support for igb but I’ll take a
> look at it for you if you can test -current with patches when I’m ready.
> My motive is more to validate and refine the iflib functionality and
> this is a good exercise.

Christmas in summer on the northern hemisphere :-)

Unfortunately the only machine I have available for tests won't do
SR-IOV as far as I remember, since this feature is disabled for E3-Xeons.

I can't remember all the details, but I gave up with SR-IOV on any Intel
single-socket platform since E5-1600 v3/5 never showed up :-(
Although FreeBSD wasn't involved, I guess the basic requirements are the
same and I don't have a chance to use SR-IOV on E3-Xeon (v2, C203 BearTooth)

Shall I falsify with mps(4)?  I think this supports VFs and I have one
in spare.

I'm very sorry that I won't be able to test anything – but if I'm the
only igb-VF consumer, not capable of using it currently at all, Ryan
might be right with the waste of time...

-harry