netmap & chelsio

Eggert, Lars lars at netapp.com
Thu Jul 12 07:17:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 2018-7-11, at 18:53, Navdeep Parhar <np at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Try changing lazy_tx_credit_flush to 0 on the running kernel with a
> debugger, or compile the driver with it set to 0 -- it's in t4_netmap.c:
>
> int lazy_tx_credit_flush = 1;

thanks! With that, I get performance similar to the ixl cards on first try.

> I'm surprised I don't have a tunable/sysctl for it.  I'll add one really
> soon.

That would be useful!

(Also useful would be some definite documentation on what all the loader tunables are and what they do. But the current situation is already much better than for the Intel cards, where esp. those that have been iflib-ified seem to have completely undocumented tunables now.)

General/unrelated suggestion: Could the kernel spit out a warning when it encounters a loader tunable that doesn't do anything? That would allow one to at least catch when tunables are renamed/changed.

Lars