wlan0 && IPv6

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Wed Jul 4 14:02:26 UTC 2018

Am 04.07.2018 um 15:30 schrieb Matthias Apitz:
> Hello,
>
> This morning I was in the Wifi area of the Munich Filmfest. They give the SSID
> and the WPA-2 password to anybody. While my FreeBSD (CURRENT) could associate fine,
> I did not get any IP addr. My Linux cellphone was working fine out of
> the box and showed an IPv6 addr in the network interface.
>
> How this must be configured in FreeBSD?

It was porbably v6 only (W)LAN.
dhclient(8) in base does only care about IPv4.

For IPv6 stateless, you need to watch
sysctl(8) net.inet6.ip6.no_radr
and
ifconfig(8) -no_radr

By default, if set ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES" in rc.conf(5), I
think you should get a stateless IPv6 address (since
net.inet6.ip6.no_radr=0, hence no no_radr flag for your IPv6-enablef
interface (wlan0)), as long as there's a router in the (W)LAN advertising.

For stateful IPv6, you must install somethink like KAME-dhcp6
(ports/net/dhcp6).

But the latter isn't widely deployed, most setups I've seen have routers
advertising and clients with stateless setup.

Can't tell you out of mind what your rc.conf(5) should look like to
enable stateless config for distinct interfaces, but I'm sure you'll
quickly find if you look for the above mentiond key words.

Viel Spass auf'm Filmfest :-)

-harry