bad throughput performance on multiple systems: Re: Fwd: Re: Disappointing packets-per-second performance results on a Dell,PE R530

John Jasen jjasen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 17:30:36 UTC 2017

On 03/24/2017 08:51 PM, Navdeep Parhar wrote:

> On 03/24/2017 16:53, Caraballo-vega, Jordan A. (GSFC-6062)[COMPUTER
> SCIENCE CORP] wrote:
>> It looks like netmap is there; however, is there a way of figuring out
>> if netmap is being used?
>
> If you're not running netmap-fwd or some other netmap application,
> it's not being used.  You have just 1 txq/rxq and that would explain
> the difference between cxl and vcxl.

Using netmap-fwd, we seem to hover between 2.2m and 3.6m pps, depending
on luck and how many streams.

netmap-fwd does complain often about running out of tx rings and/or
buffer space during these runs.

CPU usage clocks in at about 10%-12% across CPUs engaged with a queue.

> # sysctl -a | grep tx_pause

Pause was enabled, but allegedly silent during the netmap tests.