Are ./valte-ctl and ./bridge friends or competitors?

Vincenzo Maffione v.maffione at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 11:50:42 UTC 2017

> Bezüglich Vincenzo Maffione's Nachricht vom 18.03.2017 09:29 (localtime):
> >…
> be

> >> AttachFile&do=view&target=20160923-freebsd-summit-ptnet.pdf
> >> AttachFile&do=view&target=20160923-freebsd-summit-ptnet.pdf>
>
> Congratulations, nice work and presentation :-)

Thanks!

> >> setup doesn't work with netmap at the moment, if_bridge(4) has
> >> in-house-overhead and forces me to either drop jumbo frames completely
> >> or use 9k MTU for any bridge member.
> >> Will look into openvSwitch. Or better get some card providing VFs?
> >> Or wait the ptnet merge and check if I can deploy my desired setup then?
> >> And, I want to keep TSO and HWVLAN_TAG on the host interfaces…
> >>

> > It depends on your requirements, in terms of connectivity between VMs and
> > NICs and required performance (for a given workload, e.g. average
> > packet-size, average packet rate, etc.).
> > If you really want TSO an other offloadings on the phyisical NIC, then
> you
> > cannot use that NIC in netmap mode (e.g. attaching it to VALE).
>
> So to summarize for newbies exploring netmap(4) world in combination
> with physical uplinks and virtual interfaces, it's important to do the
> following uplink NIC configuration (ifconfig(8)):
> -rxcsum -txcsum -rxcsum6 -txcsum6 -tso -lro promisc

Exactly. This is mentioned at the very end of netmap(4):

"netmap does not use features such as checksum offloading, TCP segmentation
offloading, encryption, VLAN encapsulation/decapsulation, etc.  When using
netmap to exchange packets with the host stack, make sure to disable these
features."

But it is probably a good idea to add these example ifconfig instructions
somewhere (man page or at least the README in the netmap repo).

> I guess vlanhwtag, vlanhwfilter and vlanhwtso don't interfere, do they?

Well, I think they interfere: if you receive a tagged packet and the NIC
strips the tag and puts it in the packet descriptor, then with netmap you
will see the untagged packet, and you wouldn't have a way to see the tag.

Cheers,

  Vincenzo

--
Vincenzo Maffione