Enable IPv6 Privacy Extensions by default

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Wed Jun 14 02:57:30 UTC 2017

In article <1497408664.2220.3.camel at me.com>, rpaulo at me.com writes:

>I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have privacy addresses enabled
>by default.  In fact, back in 2008 no one voiced their concerns.

Back in 2008 most people hadn't had their networks fall over as a
result of MLD listener report implosions when a thousand machines
report (via multicast, natch) their eight[1] single-member
solicited-node multicast groups in the space of a few seconds.

-GAWollman

[1] Assuming the vendor actually implemented the thing correctly.
Some of us have seen what happens when one machine reports eight
hundred single-member solicited-node multicast groups in the space of
a few milliseconds.