Google Summer of Code 2016, unified ping/ping6, traceroute/traceroute6, ...

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+freebsd at ijs.si
Tue Feb 9 17:54:58 UTC 2016

There is now a timeline published for Google Summer of Code 2016:
   https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

Will FreeBSD apply for this year's participation in GSoC 2016?

I'm not a committer or a mentor, although last year I have
submitted two ideas for GSoC projects, for which I still have
great interest as a user:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas#Task_name.2A:_Unified_ping_and_ping6

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas#Task_name.2A:_Unified_traceroute_and_traceroute6

Last year there were two or three seemingly highly qualified and
motivated candidates for these two tasks. This year I have just
received a query from a new interested candidate. Unfortunately,
despite posting to freebsd-hackers ML and possibly elsewhere,
last year these candidates did not receive any reply (apart
from mine, suggesting contacts and indicated on a Wiki page).

So the problem is finding a mentor that is willing to accept
the task of mentoring these two projects. I'm willing to
participate with comments, review and technical suggestions,
but someone (or preferably two persons) familiar with FreeBSD
coding styles and practices is needed, and to fill the
GSoC role of a mentor. Finding an interested qualified mentor
is also probably a pre-requisite that a student's work won't be
in vain and get a chance of being adopted in a FreeBSD project.

I'm willing to elaborate more on my two proposed projects,
as the submission form (links above) had a word count limit
on a project description and on justifying a need.