IPsec: question on the sysctl preferred_oldsa

Emeric POUPON emeric.poupon at stormshield.eu
Mon Sep 28 08:08:28 UTC 2015

Hello,

No idea on this question?
To sum up the potential problems:
- strongSwan does not expect the kernel to destroy a SA, and produces errors after that (it cannot find the expected SA in the kernel since it has been deleted)
- racoon uses the "delete" event from the kernel and creates a ISAKMP DELETE message to the remote host, with the relevant SPI. In some situations, both endpoints negotiate a pair of SA at the same time, and keep deleting their old SA and renegotiate. I suspect this behavior to be related to this sysctl.

What do you think?

Emeric