netisr process eats 100% cpu

hiren panchasara hiren at strugglingcoder.info
Fri Sep 11 17:19:17 UTC 2015

On 09/11/15 at 12:46P, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:

> > hiren panchasara <hiren at strugglingcoder.info> wrote:
> >
> > Unsure at the moment if loopback is causing the trouble for you or not.
> > See:
>
> (please keep me CC'ed, I am not subscribed to -net)
>

> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-February/041239.html
> >

> Yes, this thread looks similar.
>

> > You may want to try:
> > 1) pmcstat and see if you can catch something
>
> What particular should I look for?  Here is first lines of pmcstat -T -S instructions -w 1:
> PMC: [INSTR_RETIRED_ANY] Samples: 157198 (100.0%) , 0 unresolved
>
> %SAMP IMAGE      FUNCTION             CALLERS
>  13.2 kernel     cpu_search_highest   cpu_search_highest:12.0 sched_idletd:1.2
>   8.3 kernel     ipfw_chk             ipfw_check_packet
>   3.1 myprogram   memsetAVX            _ZN12TLz4Compress7DoWriteEPKv
>   2.3 kernel     tcp_output           tcp_usr_send:1.0 tcp_do_segment:0.9
>

> > 2) disable checksum on localhost
>

> I tried, but nothing has changed.
>

> > 3) look at netisr settings. sysctl net.isr o/p and how it looks under
> > netstat -Q. I am not sure if adding more threads to netisr via
>

> What should I look for?
>

> > net.isr.numthreads would help. (Note its a loader.conf variable)
>

> This netisr load looks parasitical to me (as I noted, moving haproxy to a separate machine does not burn CPU cycles on netisr, why is localhost special?)
>
> Even if adding more threads to netisr would boost network utilization, wouldn't those CPU cycles spent for netisr just be a waste of energy?  I have other tasks for these CPU.

I am not sure what keep cpu busy with netisr when localhost is involved.

You may want to post o/p of
# sysctl net.isr
# netstat -Q
# sysctl net.inet | grep queue

A suggestion I see at https://calomel.org/freebsd_network_tuning.html is
to increase localhost n/w buffers. Not sure if this'll help your case.
net.local.stream.sendspace=164240  # (default 8192)
net.local.stream.recvspace=164240  # (default 8192)

Now I'll let someone else with more ideas/clues comment.

Cheers,
Hiren