default ECN settings

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 5 00:53:52 UTC 2015

On  4 Sep, K. Macy wrote:
> By default ECN is completely disabled on FreeBSD. On Linux the default
> is to disable it outbound (not request it) but enable it inbound
> (accept new connections asking for it). Is there a good reason to only
> set ECN_PERMIT on inbound connections if the system is doing ECN on
> outbound connections?

Not that I can think of.  The risk in enabling ECN for outbound
connections is that some connection attempts can fail, especially if you
are attempting to connect to some old and oddball device.  That should
not be a risk for inbound connections since those devices won't be
requesting ECN.

Seems like we should be defaulting ECN on for inbound connections,
though we currently can't control the two directions separately.