RFC7084 "Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers"

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Wed Aug 19 21:06:42 UTC 2015

Since FreeBSD is a general-purpose operating system, a fresh install with default options will certainly not meet all the requirements. However, from a quick read of the RFC it looks like it would be straightforward to configure a FreeBSD box to meet the requirements.

For simple routing, the include rtadvd(8) may be adequate; however I am unsure if its behavior by default would meet req G-4 from 4.1. (If it doesn’t, a small script to add interfaces using rtadvctl once appropriate WAN routes are available would suffice.) FreeBSD does include a RIP6 routing daemon (route6d); other routing protocols are supported by third-party programs such as quagga or openbgpd.

FreeBSD supports SLA but requires third-party software for DHCP6 client or server operation. Examples of such software include dhcp6, isc-dhcp43-client, and isc-dhcp43-server.

Those are all the potential sticking points that stood out to me.