net.inet.ip.forwarding impact on throughput

Navdeep Parhar nparhar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 12:14:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:47:45PM -0700, Scott Larson wrote:
>      We're in the process of migrating our network into the future with 40G
> at the core, including our firewall/traffic routers with 40G interfaces. An
> issue which this exposed and threw me for a week turns out to be directly
> related to net.inet.ip.forwarding and I'm looking to just get some insight
> on what exactly is occurring as a result of using it.

Enabling forwarding disables LRO and TSO and that probably accounts for
a large part of the difference in throughput that you've observed.  The
number of packets passing through the stack (and not the amount of data
passing through) is the dominant bottleneck.

fastforwarding _should_ make a difference, but only if packets actually
take the fast-forward path.  Check the counters available via netstat:
# netstat -sp ip | grep forwarded

Regards,
Navdeep