How do I balance bandwidth over several virtual NICs?

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Tue Sep 23 17:14:25 UTC 2014

On Sep 23, 2014, at 10:44 AM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at iet.unipi.it> wrote:

> I know the Bro developers (in Bcc so they can pitch
> in if they like) have been playing with some
> external traffic demultiplexer that reads from the
> NIC (in netmap mode) and passes traffic to IDS
> instances using VALE ports or netmap pipes,
> all of which are compatible with the netmap-libpcap.

We're trying to solve a lot of problems that people have with low level packet handling for network monitoring.  Not sure how much I have to say about it quite yet, but the tool is called PacketBricks and can be found here:
	https://github.com/bro/packet-bricks

One request we've been proxying through Luigi, but I'd like to push it with more people is to get netmap compiled into the GENERIC FreeBSD kernel.  In my opinion it would be nice for FreeBSD to reclaim the position of the best OS for network monitoring and I think that netmap compiled into the default install would be fantastic.

  .Seth

--
Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network