netmap in GENERIC, by default, on HEAD

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Wed Nov 5 15:52:19 UTC 2014

On 05.11.2014 18:39, George Neville-Neil wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Last night (Pacific Time) I committed a change so that GENERIC, on HEAD
> has the netmap
> device enabled.  This is to increase the breadth of our testing of that
> feature prior
> to the release of FreeBSD 11.
>
> In two weeks I will enable IPSec by default, again in preparation for 11.

Hi,

recently we did some IP forwarding tests and the GENERIC kernel is
several times faster than GENERIC+IPSEC. Even when IPSEC has no SA.

I didn't do test on vanilla kernel, but our kernel is able forward
IPv4/IPv6 on rate close to 8.6 Mpps. The same kernel compiled with IPSEC
can forward only 180 kpps. I think this problem should be solved before
enabling it in GENERIC.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov