Port mirroring on FreeBSD

hiren panchasara hiren.panchasara at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 06:58:36 UTC 2014

I have this weird requirement that I am juggling right now and I
wanted to reach out to larger audience:

In this box I have 2 dualport ixgbe 10G cards. On ingress, I want to
get data off of 2 ports of first 10G card and lagg/lacp them into 1
stream of data. But for outgoing, I want to have 2 identical streams
of data going out on 2 ports of the second 10G card. (not
load-balancing but more of a mirroring).

The reason for this is, I need to be able to provide same data to 2
different application hosts downstream for monitoring. Something like:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.2/topics/concept/port-mirroring-ex-series.html

I believe a regular switch might be perfect but for I could not find
anything simple in FreeBSD to do that.

Luigi: Can netmap/vale be helpful here?

Any other pointers would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Hiren